What is Inside a Weighted Blanket
What's Inside A Weighted Blanket?
A weighted blanket can be constructed with several types of filler. These include poly plastic pellets, steel balls, and glass beads. The extra weight stimulates the nervous system, calms the mind, and provides a better night's sleep.
The science behind Deep Pressure Stimulation (DPS)
Deep Pressure Stimulation (DPS) is a therapy utilizing excess weight to stimulate the central nervous system. It simulates the sensation of being hugged, swaddled, or spooned, and encourages dopamine and serotonin production. These chemicals not only help you relax, but they also increase memory, attention span, and digestion. Though massages and certain personal tools have a similar effect, weighted blankets are among the best and most consistent DPS applicators.
Weighted blankets: An effective DPS tool
Weighted blankets are made with fillers such as steel balls, glass beads, or organic grain, to achieve consistent DPS for a relaxing, deep sleep. Increased melatonin production, dopamine, and serotonin work to manage symptoms of insomnia, depression, anxiety, and certain physical conditions such as chronic pain and diabetes. The gradual release of these chemicals throughout the night helps you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and increase your overall sleep quality.
Let's take a closer look inside your weighted blanket
When it comes to your weighted blanket, attention to detail matters. Not all weighted blankets are the same, and it really boils down to your preference. Here are some things you should keep in mind when you're shopping for your weighted blanket.
- Cotton is a breathable fabric. But be careful! Cotton comes in a variety of forms, and some types are less breathable than others. Snuggle Pro uses organic 100% Oeko-Tex breathable cotton that's machine washable and perfect for any season.
- Minky is soft and silky! It's an excellent option for kids, as Minky is a good source of comfort and warmth. And, since it's most commonly used for baby and toddler blankets, chances are your child is already accustomed to its feel! Are you having a hard time deciding between a cool fabric and a warm one? Snuggle Pro's Reversible All-Season Duvet Cover's design allows you to have warm Minky in the winter months and crisp cotton in the summer!
- Linen is another option for breathable fabric. Like cotton, it's also machine washable. Thanks to its microscopic breaks in fabric, linen is an excellent choice for a smooth, soft sleeping experience.
- Bamboo is a treat if you're a hot sleeper. This unique fabric has properties that assist in temperature regulation by encouraging your body to evaporate its sweat, keeping you cool. Snuggle Pro's aptly named Stay Cool Bamboo Duvet Cover is a great choice if you or your partner easily overheat in the night.
- Bonus: Snuggle Pro's weighted blanket covers are crafted with stylish paneled stitching to decrease bunching/falling. Plus, they just look so chic!
- Poly plastic pellets are one of the most common fillers for weighted blankets. They're made from polypropene and are non-toxic. These fillers are typically larger than others, and sometimes don't compress evenly. If you're considering a weighted blanket with poly plastic pellets, take care to ensure it's a high-quality brand so the blanket can do its job!
- Glass beads are another popular choice. This type of filler is smaller than plastic pellets, about the size of a grain of sugar, creating a denser, more even compression. Snuggle Pro's products are constructed with premium glass beads for optimal DPS.
- Steel shot beads are a little bigger than glass beads. They're essentially heat-treated steel balls, which can provide similar compression benefits to glass beads. However, they have a tendency to be heavy and a tad noisy.
You need a weighted blanket in your life—Here's why
Weighted blankets are an essential part of a healthy sleep environment. If you're thinking about making the switch, here are a few of the benefits:
Weighted blankets are a natural remedy for anxiety
Studies showed that 63% of people reported lower anxiety when using a weighted blanket, and 78% said their blankets were their preferred method to calm down.
They're great for kids
Occupational therapists often recommend weighted blankets as a tool for children who struggle with attention deficit disorder, sensory processing disorder, or those on the autism spectrum.
You can easily find the one that's right for you
Snuggle Pro's sizing guide makes it easy to find the blanket that suits you, your partner, and your children's personal needs. (Tip: A good rule of thumb is to find a blanket that's approximately 10% of your overall body weight.)
They help fight a variety of mental and physical ailments
Whether it's physical or emotional, the Deep Pressure Stimulation helps your body fight for the sleep you deserve, naturally. A few conditions managed by DPS include:
- Chronic pain
- Restless legs syndrome
- Physical symptoms associated with diabetes.
You'll sleep better
You just will. As referenced in an online review of Snuggle Pro's products, even if you sleep well now, you'll sleep even better due to your DPS therapy. Say goodbye to cortisol (the chemical that causes stress and anxiety) and welcome in that sweet, sweet serotonin!
Shop the #1 weighted blanket, online (+ sleep well)
Your sleep isn't just important... it's essential. Why settle for poorly designed (+ cheaply made) weighted blankets? Snuggle Pro crafts every blanket with quality of materials, care of attention, and your best sleep in mind. Backed by real science, sleep studies & your ultimate comfort Snuggle Pro exists to help you get your best sleep.
Shop Snuggle Pro, here, today (and redefine your sleep)!